Cairngorm Winter Coaching Programme 2021
This year’s programme will again be run in conjunction with Alpine Training Centre to provide high quality domestic and alpine coaching for our young aspiring ski racers. We are hopeful despite the COVID pandemic and the lack of Funicular to run a full programme. We have taken steps in conjunction with Snowsport Scotland and Cairngorm Mountain Scotland Ltd to provide a programme that is COVID secure and should be as safe as possible for our trainees and their families.
The Cairngorm weekend domestic programme has been extended this year to 15 weekends over the winter period from the beginning of January (9-10th) to the middle of April (23-24th). We will run additional training sessions pre-season in December and after the Easter break as we have done in previous seasons depending on snow conditions. We are delighted to have secured the services of Murray Howie as Head Coach who will assist ATC Director Sean Langmuir in creating a varied and fun programme.
Included in the programme is race cover for the Lecht, Glenshee and Cairngorm races in the hope that these run as scheduled, although we plan to have coaching available back at Cairngorm on those race weekends for those athletes not involved in racing elsewhere. Training is based on 10 or 20 day blocks. Training days can be taken on one or both days per weekend. Training will occur whatever the weather – wherever possible on snow at Cairngorm or elsewhere (eg The Lecht), but on dryland if all the ski areas are stormbound. Ski or dryland options will also be offered on race days.
Unfortunately we are not able to offer the 10 or 20 day packages to be shared between family members.
SSC Racing Trespass DLX Jackets are available for on snow training sessions at a cost of £100. Existing and new trainees can recycle jackets if they no longer fit through the Booking Sheets, with new jackets for those who want and are unable to find swaps. In order to save on costs, wearing of official SSC jackets at training sessions is not compulsory for this year.
The SSC Racing team are delighted to be able to continue for 2021 our sponsorship with Blues/Tiso which will offer a 20% discount on all ski racing equipment at Blues stores with a discount card issued to all trainees who register for the 10 and 20 day packages. This will include ski servicing at the new Tiso store in Aviemore. The partnership also provides funds to help underwrite our domestic and alpine programme which allows us to keep training costs at very competitive rates.
We have been forced to increase the cost of training for this year, but hope that parents will all feel that the programme still represents good value for money. With the UK Alpine race calendar for next season in some doubt due to the ongoing pandemic, we hope our extended weekend programme will provide a fantastic alternative for our club trainees on home snow.
Training is available from under 10 to under 16. U8 will again be by invitation only this year. U8 trials can be organised throughout the season by prior arrangement with email@example.com or pre-season at one of the ATC sessions at Firpark or Hillend.
Please email any enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
To book a place on the programme click the Pay Online link above and follow the instructions.
Club membership is of course required to get registered on the programme.
We look forward to seeing you on the hill!
The SSC Racing Team
NEW AND RETURNING TRAINEES:
- Existing members paying SSC membership by direct debit or other means: Please fill out the online forms (contact details, medical information and photography consent) in the Race training section only. Tick boxes for the type of training package and proceed to payment. Jackets can be ordered after registering for training if none available through the booking sheets, but orders should be completed by end November 2021.
- New or existing members requiring membership renewal: Please fill out the online forms in the Membership section (including family members) and also the Race training section (contact details, medical information and photography consent). Tick boxes for the type of training package required and proceed to payment. Jackets can be ordered after registering for training if none available through the booking sheets, but orders should be completed by end November 2021.
Cost of training (and race cover) for 2021
An up front payment is required to secure your place. Club membership is required to get on the programme. There are 3 packages available:
20 day package: £600 (plus £30 per day for additional days). Free SSC hoodie included
10 day package: £350 (plus £35 per day for additional days). Free SSC hoodie included
Single day: £40.
You can pick any 10 or 20 days that you want of the 30 available over the winter – single or both days over a weekend.
Additional days over and above the minimum 10 or 20 day commitment can be booked (costs above) on the online spreadsheet (see below). These will be billed for at the end of the season.
10 and 20 day packages should be secured and paid for by December 4th 2020. Bookings after this date will not be able to take advantage of the 10 and 20 day packages.
Single and additional training days must be booked TWO WEEKS prior to the desired training day.
This will allow us to plan ahead and improve coaching consistency. If for any reason you cannot meet the above deadlines then please get in touch with email@example.com to explain the circumstances and we will endeavour to accommodate but cannot guarantee places without advance notice as indicated above.
Race support is offered on race days (both Cairngorm and the other resorts) although training will be made available at Cairngorm (particularly for younger members) for those choosing not to race on race days.
ONLINE BOOKINGS FOR 2021
Once forms and payments have been completed your child will be registered on the programme.
Bookings of individual days and amendments are made by parents using the online SSC Bookings Spreadsheet which is stored on Google Drives.
On confirmation of payment you will be sent an email from Google inviting you to Link to our Google Spreadsheet. If you have a Gmail email account then you already have access to Google Drives. If you do not have a Gmail account you must sign up to Google. Go to Google and at the top right of page and click SIGN IN to register. This can be done using your own email address and creating a password. In theory you don’t have to create or use a Gmail email address, however we did experience some incompatibility issues with some email addresses in 2014 so creating a Gmail email address and using Google Chrome as your Web Browser is best for quick and easy use of the spreadsheet.
You must sign up to Google before trying to activate the link that we send you. This link will arrive in your email inbox as coming from SSC (GOOGLE DRIVES).
You can access the spreadsheet at any time by signing in to Google and at the header of the homepage click MORE then EVEN MORE and click DRIVE and “Shared with me” and you’ll see the spreadsheet. You have the option of creating an icon on your desktop or portable device to link directly to the spreadsheet.
You will then have access to the bookings spreadsheet (it looks similar to an Excel Spreadsheet) where you will see your child’s names already entered. You can then choose whichever days you want to train by entering a “1” in the date column. Amendments and additional bookings will be accepted so long as we have TWO WEEKS notice prior to a training day (or less at the discretion of the coaching team). The spreadsheet will be frozen for alterations two weeks prior to a training day so last minute changes will not be able to be made. To cancel a booked training day simply delete the “1” and enter “0” in its place so that we know you have cancelled. If you want to add more days or book another day, then just add a “1” in the date column required.
If you book, don’t cancel on time or fail to turn up then you will still incur the training fee for that day. If you can’t remember which days you initially booked up, simply refer to the spreadsheet and it will remind you of your bookings.
Only those signed up to training will be able to see and amend the bookings spreadsheet.
Please be careful not to amend other people’s bookings in error though!
SSC POLICY ON CANCELLATIONS & STORMBOUND DAYS
- If you fail to turn up for training on any booked days, or cancel at less than two weeks’ notice then you will have to meet the cost of that day’s training. If you are not able to make it at very short notice we’d be grateful if you would send the Head Coach a text so that we will know not to expect you on that day and will not have to wait for you.
- Cancellations or alterations of booked days can be made using the Bookings Spreadsheet so long as this is done more than TWO WEEKS in advance of the training day.
- If club training is moved for whatever reason by the Head Coach (due to lack of snow or bad weather) then alternative arrangements will be made to train on snow at the Lecht or on dryland at the Aviemore Community Centre. This will be communicated via the club’s website, email and Facebook usually by Thursdays at 7pm, but occasionally later due to changes in the weather forecast. If persistent poor weather or snow conditions are expected on the prior Thursday then we will run dryland sessions closer to the central belt.
- There will be no refunds for stormbound or no snow days, as an alternative programme of activities will be provided. This applies to both training and race days. Normally this Dryland activity will incur no extra cost, but there may be an occasional additional charge for rental of equipment such as cross-country skis or mountain bikes. There will be no additional charge for the rental of general sports facilities such as the Aviemore Community Centre.
- In the event of prolonged lack of snow we may choose to cancel some weekend programmes. Where the number of cancelled weekends affects the ability of trainees to use all days in a 10 or 20 day package, then a pro-rata refund will be offered as in previous years. This will likely not be the full cost of each days training but as much as the programme can afford to break even.